Government brings the online news media and social sites under its control
Coimbatore: Government brings the online news media, OTT streaming services and social sites under its control. Last month, based on the petition for regulating OTT platforms by an autonomous body the Supreme Court sought the centre's response on the same.
The notification, signed by President Ram Nath Kovind on the government order for bringing online news portals and content providers such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar under the Information and Broadcasting ministry was issued on Monday. The government regulations also apply to news on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Now, films, audio-visuals, and news and current affairs content on online platforms will come under the domain of the ministry. It is to be noted that until now there was no law or autonomous body governing digital content. The Press Council of India takes care of the print media, the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) monitors news channels, the Advertising Standards Council of India is for advertising while the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) takes care of films.
Last month when the Supreme Court sought the centre's response on a petition for regulating over-the-top or OTT platforms by an autonomous body, notices were issued to the centre, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and Internet and Mobile Association of India. OTT platforms include news portals and also streaming services such as Hotstar, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and others broadcast available over the internet. The petition stated that the OTT/streaming and digital media platforms have paved the way for filmmakers and artists to release their content without worrying about censor board and clearance certificates.
The Information and Broadcasting ministry had earlier requested a need for the committee to be set up to come up with guidelines that regulate digital media and the regulation of hate speech in the media. It is to be noted that last year, Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar had said that the government will not take any step that may curb media freedom. He had said there should be some kind of regulation on OTT platforms similar to print, films and electronic media
The notification, signed by President Ram Nath Kovind on the government order for bringing online news portals and content providers such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar under the Information and Broadcasting ministry was issued on Monday. The government regulations also apply to news on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Now, films, audio-visuals, and news and current affairs content on online platforms will come under the domain of the ministry. It is to be noted that until now there was no law or autonomous body governing digital content. The Press Council of India takes care of the print media, the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) monitors news channels, the Advertising Standards Council of India is for advertising while the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) takes care of films.
Last month when the Supreme Court sought the centre's response on a petition for regulating over-the-top or OTT platforms by an autonomous body, notices were issued to the centre, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and Internet and Mobile Association of India. OTT platforms include news portals and also streaming services such as Hotstar, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and others broadcast available over the internet. The petition stated that the OTT/streaming and digital media platforms have paved the way for filmmakers and artists to release their content without worrying about censor board and clearance certificates.
The Information and Broadcasting ministry had earlier requested a need for the committee to be set up to come up with guidelines that regulate digital media and the regulation of hate speech in the media. It is to be noted that last year, Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar had said that the government will not take any step that may curb media freedom. He had said there should be some kind of regulation on OTT platforms similar to print, films and electronic media