Nagasaki marks 71st atomic bombing anniversary

The Japanese city of Nagasaki today marked 71 years since its destruction by a US atomic bomb, with its mayor lauding a visit by US President Barack Obama to Hiroshima earlier this year.

A bell tolled as thousands of people, including ageing survivors and relatives of victims, observed a minute's silence at 11:02 AM (0732 IST), the exact moment the of the blast.

Some 74,000 people died in the initial explosion, while thousands of others perished months or years later from radiation sickness.

The attack came three days after the US dropped the first ever atomic bomb on Hiroshima, which ultimately killed 140,000 people.

Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue lauded Obama's landmark May visit to Hiroshima - the first ever by a sitting US president.

"Knowing the facts becomes the starting point for thinking about a future free of nuclear weapons," Taue said, calling on other world leaders to visit his city.

Local officials and those who survived the bombing called for strict adherence to Japan's post-war tradition of pacifism and were critical of the Japanese government.

"The government of Japan, while advocating nuclear weapons abolition, still relies on nuclear deterrence," the mayor said, calling it a "contradictory state of affairs".

Hiroshima mayor Kazumi Matsui on Saturday marked the commemoration of the bombing of his city, also citing Obama's visit.

He said the visit was proof the US President shared his city's view of the "absolute evil" of nuclear weapons.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in his address in Nagasaki, called on world leaders to honour the global Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

"We must not allow a repeat of the horrible experiences of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that happened 71 years ago," Abe said.

Abe has moved to extend the scope of Japan's military and deepen the nation's alliance with Washington in the face of threats from China's expanding military strength and unpredictable North Korea.

North Korea last week test-fired a ballistic missile that landed in waters off Japan's coast for the first time.

SSLC Results 2026: Coimbatore Tops Kongu Region with 97.09 Percent Pass Rate..!

Pudukkottai, Sivagangai and Thanjavur emerged as the top three districts in Tamil Nadu in the SSLC Public Examination 20...

Pharmacies Strike: Over 1,500 Medical Shops Closed Across Coimbatore; Public Faces Hardship

More than 1,500 medical shops across Coimbatore district remained closed today as part of a nationwide strike demanding...

Hoax Bomb Threat Email Sent Again to Coimbatore Collectorate

Following yet another bomb threat email sent to the Coimbatore District Collectorate, police conducted extensive searche...

6 Coimbatore Corporation Schools Record 100 Percent Pass in SSLC Examination..!

Six Coimbatore Corporation schools have secured a 100 Percent pass result in the Class 10 State Board examinations annou...

“Rationalism Is the Answer to Social Media Misinformation” – DMK MP Kanimozhi in Coimbatore

DMK Deputy General Secretary and Member of Parliament Kanimozhi, while addressing a self-respect marriage ceremony in Co...

Coimbatore Stanes School Student Titus Wins Gold at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in Bali

Eight-year-old Titus from Stanes CBSE School, Coimbatore, won the gold title at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in...