Macedonia declares emergency after flooding kills 21

Macedonia’s government declared a state of emergency on Sunday in parts of the capital hit by torrential rain and floods that left at least 21 people dead, six missing and dozens injured, authorities said.

Police and army helicopters searched for the missing and evacuated hundreds from the flood zone. Mayor Koce Trajanovski described the damage as “the worst Skopje has ever seen.” He said that the deadly deluge created hazardous rainfall accumulations within only 20 minutes. “It was like a water bomb has fallen!” he said. Many witnesses have described that victims drowned after being trapped in their houses when torrents suddenly swept through the area.

The heavy rain, strong winds and thunderstorms struck Skopje and its northern suburbs late yesterday. Special police, army units and firefighters were sent to the worst-hit areas as well as the nearby villages of Stajkovci, Cento, Aracinovo and Smiljkovci.

Government spokesman Aleksandar Gjorgiev told The Associated Press a state of emergency had been declared for two weeks in the most affected areas. Hundreds of homes and vehicles were destroyed by the floods, roads were impassable and several areas were without electricity. Authorities said more than 1,000 people had been evacuated so far.

Skopje’s city council held an emergency session and decided to provide financial help to victims’ families, giving 180,000 denars (3,000 euros) to each. Authorities said they will open shelters for people from affected areas.

After a meeting of the National Crisis Management Center, Health Minister Nikola Todorov said many of the injured had fractures and contusions. Meteorologists said more torrential rain and strong winds were expected later on Sunday.

Authorities said at least 5,000 people would need urgently food and water. They urged people to stay at home and to only drink bottled water. Further north in Croatia, stormy winds have disrupted road and sea traffic at the height of the tourist season. The state news agency HINA says parts of the main highway connecting the capital of Zagreb with the Adriatic coast remained closed on Sunday.

Only cars were allowed down the sections of a highway and a regional road further north near the port of Rijeka. Disruptions created by the bad weather have created traffic backups, with many tourists trying to reach Croatia’s coastal resorts along the Adriatic Sea.

SSLC Results 2026: Coimbatore Tops Kongu Region with 97.09 Percent Pass Rate..!

Pudukkottai, Sivagangai and Thanjavur emerged as the top three districts in Tamil Nadu in the SSLC Public Examination 20...

Pharmacies Strike: Over 1,500 Medical Shops Closed Across Coimbatore; Public Faces Hardship

More than 1,500 medical shops across Coimbatore district remained closed today as part of a nationwide strike demanding...

Hoax Bomb Threat Email Sent Again to Coimbatore Collectorate

Following yet another bomb threat email sent to the Coimbatore District Collectorate, police conducted extensive searche...

6 Coimbatore Corporation Schools Record 100 Percent Pass in SSLC Examination..!

Six Coimbatore Corporation schools have secured a 100 Percent pass result in the Class 10 State Board examinations annou...

“Rationalism Is the Answer to Social Media Misinformation” – DMK MP Kanimozhi in Coimbatore

DMK Deputy General Secretary and Member of Parliament Kanimozhi, while addressing a self-respect marriage ceremony in Co...

Coimbatore Stanes School Student Titus Wins Gold at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in Bali

Eight-year-old Titus from Stanes CBSE School, Coimbatore, won the gold title at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in...