The contract sanitation workers Association has announced that they will go on an indefinite strike from October 2 after talks failed to reach an agreement on the wage hike bonus.
Coimbatore: The contract sanitation workers Associationhas announced that they will go on an indefinite strike from October 2 as no agreement has been reached on the wage hike and bonus negotiations for the sanitation workers of CoimbatoreCorporation.
There are more than 4,000 contract workers working in coimbatore corporation in cleaning, solid waste management, driving and hygiene work.
They have been alleging that they are being paid only Rs 323 as daily wages and no wage hike has been made in the last few years and the incentives announced during the Covid period have also not been given so far.

Proper wages for the past few years, concessions for workers must be provided The 19-point charter of demands, including a bonus of Rs 15,000, were made on behalf of the contract sanitation workers on the occasion of Diwali.
On behalf of contract sanitation workers' associations, talks were held with corporation officials in the presence of panneerselvam selvaraj, maniarasu selvam and others on these 19-point demands.

Representatives of contract safai karamcharis associations said that there has been no progress in the talks and the Coimbatore municipal corporation administration has not responded to the issue of proper wage hike and bonus for contract sanitation workers.
The question arises as to whether the bonus amount of Rs 3,000 given during Diwali last year will be available this year.
"Temporary sanitation workers have not been paid salaries as per the government order. The corporation administration has not come forward to negotiate with the contracting companies and get proper salaries and bonuses. Despite several rounds of discussions on the demands, including salary bonuses, no decision has been reached. so an indefinite strike has been announced from May 2," the sanitation workers' union said.
About 1,000 tonnes of garbage is being removed daily in Coimbatore Corporation. Garbage disposal work will not be carried out due to the agitation. The struggle will continue until the demands of the workers are met. We are ready to withdraw the protest if our demand is accepted," they said.
There are more than 4,000 contract workers working in coimbatore corporation in cleaning, solid waste management, driving and hygiene work.
They have been alleging that they are being paid only Rs 323 as daily wages and no wage hike has been made in the last few years and the incentives announced during the Covid period have also not been given so far.
Proper wages for the past few years, concessions for workers must be provided The 19-point charter of demands, including a bonus of Rs 15,000, were made on behalf of the contract sanitation workers on the occasion of Diwali.
On behalf of contract sanitation workers' associations, talks were held with corporation officials in the presence of panneerselvam selvaraj, maniarasu selvam and others on these 19-point demands.
Representatives of contract safai karamcharis associations said that there has been no progress in the talks and the Coimbatore municipal corporation administration has not responded to the issue of proper wage hike and bonus for contract sanitation workers.
The question arises as to whether the bonus amount of Rs 3,000 given during Diwali last year will be available this year.
"Temporary sanitation workers have not been paid salaries as per the government order. The corporation administration has not come forward to negotiate with the contracting companies and get proper salaries and bonuses. Despite several rounds of discussions on the demands, including salary bonuses, no decision has been reached. so an indefinite strike has been announced from May 2," the sanitation workers' union said.
About 1,000 tonnes of garbage is being removed daily in Coimbatore Corporation. Garbage disposal work will not be carried out due to the agitation. The struggle will continue until the demands of the workers are met. We are ready to withdraw the protest if our demand is accepted," they said.