Coimbatore: Since the inception of Covid-19 lockdown from March, the Coimbatore district administration has received 4,98,818 for e-pass applications, officials told on Wednesday.
Coimbatore: Since the inception of Covid-19 lockdown from March, the Coimbatore district administration has received 4,98,818 for e-pass applications, officials told on Wednesday.
Public cry hue to relax the e-pass norms, as stranded persons including students, those with medical emergencies, and those with aged and ailing issues are gravely affected due to restrictions to travel within the state. To the contrary, the district administration here has tightened the norms of approving only critical applications.
Clarifying on the process on why applications are rejected, an official from the district administration told that e-pass applications are rejected, if the reason travel is fake or not critical. Those applications with relevant documents, and appropriate reasons are approved with immediate effect.
We have been facing the issue of rejected applicants reapplying more than 10 times in a stretch. Such repetitions have attributed to the spike in overall e-pass application numbers, he clarified.
Medical Emergencies
So far, 1,74,250 e-pass applications citing medical emergencies have been received. Of these, 1,28,384 applications have been rejected due to various reasons including lack of relevant documents. And, 44,622 applications have been accepted and the remaining applications are under scrutiny.
Weddings/Occassions
Citing weddings, 33,745 applicants have applied for e-pass, of which, 9,891 applications were accepted, 23,205 were rejected. The rest are under scrutiny.
Death
Of the 15,516 applications received to attend mourning events, 4,411 applications were granted e-pass. 10,979 applications were rejected, and others pending.
Stranded people applying to travel to hometown
Of the 2,04,932 applications received from people belonging to Coimbatore and stranded in other places withing the State and other states, 45,612 applications have been accepted. 1,57,718 applications have been rejected.
It may be recalled that the State Human Rights Commission has sought a report from the Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary on the hurdles faced by people due to the e-pass system.
The order comes after Dindigul district president of Tamil Nadu Makkal Nugarvor Peravai V Visvarathinam filed a petition claiming that the e-pass system implemented by the state government was against the Constitution, as each individual has the basic right to travel.