Egypt: Death Toll of Capsized Boat Reaches 43, Suspects Arrested

Cairo - Egypt arrested on Thursday four people suspected of human trafficking after a boat carrying 600 migrants capsized of its coast and left at least 43 people dead, and hundreds more missing.

The boat, which was heading to Italy when it was capsized on Wednesday, represented "the largest illegal migration operation through the Kafr El-Sheikh coasts so far," a local official told the state-owned news agency, MENA.

A judicial source in the Prosecution office told Aswat Masriya that the four suspects are the boat owners, and are charged with human trafficking, murder, and causing injury to others.

Egypt's border authorities arrested 154 people aboard the ill-fated boat, seven of whom were wounded and thus transferred to a hospital, a security source told Aswat Masriya. This means that approximately 400 people remain missing.

An investigative team in Damanhour is currently listening to the testimonies of tens of people that have been rescued, the judicial source said.

Egypt's Prime Minister Sherif Ismail said that a draft law to combat illegal migration has been sent to parliament for discussion in the next legislative term that is set to start early October, according to a statement released on Wednesday.

The draft sets harsher punishment for those involved in illegal migration attempts.

Egyptian authorities have announced thwarting several illegal migration attempts in the past few months, as hundreds have been arrested for attempting to exit the country illegally. Earlier in September, Egypt foiled an illegal migration attempt to Europe by 155 people.

In late August, Egyptian border guard forces thwarted migration attempts by 366 people, according to the Egyptian armed forces spokesperson's announcements.

In April, more than 400 migrants, mostly Somalis, drowned in the Mediterranean as after a boat capsized off the Egyptian coast as they attempted to flee to Europe.

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...

Second suspect in Sulur minor girl murder case remanded

Mohanraj, the second accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore, has been remanded to judicial...