Germany: 3 Syrians arrested, believed sent by IS

Three Syrian men believed to have been sent to Germany last year by the Islamic State group were arrested in raids on Tuesday, part of efforts to root out extremists sent to Europe amid the migrant influx, authorities said.

The three are accused of coming to Germany in mid-November at the behest of IS “in order either to carry out an assignment they had already received or to keep themselves ready for further instructions,” federal prosecutors said. They are suspected of membership in a foreign terrorist organisation. The men were arrested in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany’s northernmost state, and their apartments searched, prosecutors added. They were identified only as Mahir Al-H., 17, Mohamed A., 26, and Ibrahim M., 18, in keeping with German privacy rules.

The three travelled to Germany via Turkey and Greece, the route used by most migrants to Europe last year. Mahir Al-H. joined IS in Raqqa, Syria, earlier last year and received weapons and explosives training, prosecutors said, before he and the other two suspects in October told an IS official responsible for “operations and attacks outside the IS area” that they would travel to Europe.

The three were provided with passports by IS and were given a “high four-figure sum” of cash in US dollars as well as cellphones with a pre-installed communication program, prosecutors said in a statement. The Federal Criminal Police Office said that six locations in two German states were searched Tuesday. It said that, as well as the arrests, “extensive material” was seized as evidence.

The office noted that the attacks in Paris and Brussels over the past year showed that IS has used the migrant flow to send people to Europe. It said that it knows of more than 400 tips about people among the migrants who might have a terrorist background, but most turned out to be wrong. However, more than 60 investigations were opened. In July, two attacks were carried out in Germany by asylum-seekers who arrived over the past two years and claimed by IS. Five people were wounded in an axe rampage on a train near Wuerzburg and 15 in a bombing outside a bar in Ansbach. Both of the attackers were killed.

Along with two other attacks in the same weeklong period that were unrelated to Islamic extremism, they put the country on edge and stoked tensions over the arrival last year of hundreds of thousands of migrants.

15 More Police Stations in Coimbatore District Receive ISO Certification

In recognition of its continued commitment to people-centric and quality policing, 15 additional police stations across...

Missing 10-Year-Old Girl’s Body Recovered Near Pond in Sulur

A 10-year-old girl who went missing near Sulur in Coimbatore district on Thursday evening was found dead near a pond tod...

Missing 10-Year-Old Girl Found Dead in Coimbatore

A 10-year-old girl who went missing near Sulur in Coimbatore district on Thursday evening was found dead near a pond tod...

Coimbatore District Police Launch Special Drive Against Rowdies.

Coimbatore District Police conducted a special drive on May 21-22, tracing and interrogating 51 rowdies across the distr...

Coimbatore DCP (Traffic) Ashok Kumar Transferred as Tenkasi SP Amid Major IPS Reshuffle

Following the recent appointment of a new Superintendent of Police for the district, the transfer of Deputy Commissioner...

National Lok Adalat Scheduled in Coimbatore Courts on December 13

The Coimbatore District Legal Services Authority has announced that National Lok Adalat will be held on December 13 acro...