Coimbatore car bomb blast case: Preparation of chargesheet by NIA in full swing

Police are in the process of filing a chargesheet in connection with the car cylinder explosion that occurred in front of the Kottai Easwaran temple in Coimbatore last October.


Coimbatore: On October 23 last year, a car cylinder exploded in front of the Kottai Easwaran temple in Coimbatore leaving Jamesha Mubin, who was in the car, dead. Intensive police investigation revealed that Jamesha Mubin was part of a major sabotage operation in Coimbatore but had died in the execution of the plan.

It was also revealed that similar incidents were planned to be carried out at many places in Coimbatore. Meanwhile, the case was transferred to the NIA. The NIA had arrested 11 people, including Mohammad Azharuddin and Afsar Khan, with regard to the case.

The NIA interrogated all those arrested separately and collected various information and also took them into custody and brought them to Coimbatore and Coonoor where the gang had met in homes and a few other places and then investigated their contacts further.

The NIA had filed an application in the Poonamallee NIA Court seeking permission to re-take into custody seven persons - Mohammad Azharuddin, Afsar Khan, Feroz Khan, Mohammad Taufiq, Sheikh Idyatullah, Sanofar Ali and Mohammad Nawaz Ismail.

Hearing the petition, the judge granted seven days custody of the seven accused. Following this, the NIA officials brought the seven men to Coimbatore on Thursday. They were later taken to the Coimbatore Government Hospital and were medically examined there. Subsequently, they were taken to the Race Course police station in Coimbatore and interrogated from midnight to early this morning. During the thorough investogation, the officials recorded the information on audio and video.

The officails are also planning to take the accused to their homes and places where they had met and talked to those present there in person and interrogate them. It is also said that the men may be taken to Sathyamangalam area where they are said to have held the meeting and interrogate them there.

The NIA officials are currently in the process of preparing a chargesheet in the bomb blast case and are in the process of preparing all the information received thus far in the case as documents. The interrogation of the arrested persons and the information obtained from them, the important documents seized from the houses, the documents given by the police during the investigation will be used to prepare the chargesheet along with the various items seized from Mubin's house as evidence.

It is expected that the NIA's chargesheet in connection with the case will soon be filed in court.

Students, teachers and parents celebrate Checkpoint milestone at Spectrum Northern Lights School, Coimbatore

Spectrum Northern Lights School in Coimbatore celebrated its Primary Checkpoint Examination results, recognising student...

Union MoS Muralidhar Mohol reviews Coimbatore Airport expansion works

Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation Muralidhar Mohol held discussions with airport officials at Coimbatore Airpor...

Dr S Rajasekaran receives Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar Vaidyak-Ratna Award

Ganga Hospital Chairman Dr S Rajasekaran was honoured as the first recipient of the Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar Vaidyak...

Union Budget 2026 lays roadmap for manufacturing, MSMEs and skills: CII Southern Region

CII Southern Region said Union Budget 2026–27 provides policy support for manufacturing, MSMEs, agriculture and skills,...

1054 Park Group students set world record in e-waste awareness drive

A total of 1054 students from Park Group of Institutions created a world record in Coimbatore by identifying and categor...

From kolams to Silambam: Harvest Fiesta lights up VIBGYOR High, Coimbatore

VIBGYOR High Coimbatore celebrated Harvest Fiesta 2026 with a vibrant Pongal event featuring traditional décor, cultural...