TNEB Transformer Procurement Scam Allegations: Senthil Balaji Denies Irregularities, Calls Probe Politically Motivated

Former Minister Senthil Balaji responds to allegations over transformer procurement for the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board, says no loss was caused to the government and alleges political motives behind the court-ordered CBI probe.


Coimbatore: Former Tamil Nadu Minister Senthil Balaji on Wednesday issued a detailed response to allegations surrounding the procurement of transformers for the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB), insisting that no irregularities had taken place and that the State government had not incurred any financial loss.

His statement came after the Madras High Court ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into the alleged transformer procurement scam based on a complaint filed by an organisation.

Addressing the media, Balaji said the procurement process followed was standard procedure and had been in practice for several decades. According to him, the same method of purchasing transformers had been followed by successive governments since 1987.

He explained that tenders for transformer procurement were open to multiple participants and that several bidders had taken part in the process. He further noted that in some cases, a few bidders had quoted identical prices, which he said was not unusual in competitive tendering.

Balaji also clarified that no single individual had the authority to finalise the tender. He said the decision-making process involved three separate committees, which scrutinised and approved the bids before awarding contracts.

Rejecting the allegations of wrongdoing, he said there had been no malpractice of any kind in the purchase of transformers. He strongly maintained that the State had not suffered “even a single paisa” in loss due to the procurement.

On the court-ordered CBI probe, Balaji said he had not yet received the complete text of the order and would comment in detail only after examining it fully. He added that he would consult legal experts before deciding whether to challenge the order through an appeal.

He further alleged that the move to specifically examine procurement decisions taken in 2021 appeared politically motivated. According to him, if the same procurement procedure had been followed since 1987, focusing only on one particular period raised serious questions.

Balaji also referred to cases previously filed against former minister S. P. Velumani and questioned why those matters were not pursued with the same intensity.

Claiming that political opponents who were unable to defeat them electorally were resorting to legal routes, Balaji said such tactics had been witnessed before.

Turning to the political situation in Tamil Nadu, Balaji expressed confidence that Chief Minister M. K. Stalin would return to power for a second consecutive term. He said the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam was working hard to secure victory in all 10 Assembly constituencies in Coimbatore and 35 seats across the western region of the State.

He also said the party was optimistic about winning the Coimbatore South Assembly Constituency seat and added that preparations were underway to establish offices in 11 wards of the constituency.

Balaji concluded by saying that the election results would be favourable to his party.

Hoax Bomb Threat Email Sent Again to Coimbatore Collectorate

Following yet another bomb threat email sent to the Coimbatore District Collectorate, police conducted extensive searche...

6 Coimbatore Corporation Schools Record 100 Percent Pass in SSLC Examination..!

Six Coimbatore Corporation schools have secured a 100 Percent pass result in the Class 10 State Board examinations annou...

“Rationalism Is the Answer to Social Media Misinformation” – DMK MP Kanimozhi in Coimbatore

DMK Deputy General Secretary and Member of Parliament Kanimozhi, while addressing a self-respect marriage ceremony in Co...

Coimbatore Stanes School Student Titus Wins Gold at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in Bali

Eight-year-old Titus from Stanes CBSE School, Coimbatore, won the gold title at Junior Mister Kids of the World 2026 in...

Two Arrested for Illicit Liquor Brewing Near Coimbatore; 20 Litres Seized

Two persons were arrested and 20 litres of illicit liquor were seized during a raid conducted by the Prohibition Enforce...

Kavundampalayam TVK MLA’s Meeting With Officials at Her Astrology Office Sparks Criticism

Amid criticism over holding a meeting with Coimbatore Corporation and health officials at her astrology office, Kavundam...