Indian squad safe in Turkey

As panic struck the parents and relatives of the Indian contingent taking part in the World Schools Championships now on in Trabzon (Turkey) due to the unrest in the Turkish capital Ankara, the leader of the contingent told TOI that all members of the squad were safe at the Games Village.

"We got an advisory from the organizers not to move out of the village but so far there is no problem here. The events are going on as per schedule with the closing ceremony scheduled on Sunday," head of delegation 1 Chacko Joseph told TOI from Trabzon. "Trabzon is far away from Istanbul, 90 minutes by flight, and there is no disturbance here. All contingents are safe here," he added.

Joseph said the 189-member Indian contingent, including 41 officials, will leave Trabzon in five batches and is scheduled to arrive in New Delhi on July 19 after transiting through Ankara and Istanbul.

Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel also assured of the players' safety. "I have been in touch with the ministry of external affairs and our ambassador to Turkey and the news is that all the 148 athletes taking part in the Games are safe. The MEA is taking steps to ensure the safety of the participants," he said, referring to the attempted military coup in Turkey.

The minister said according to the organisers of the event, the Games were on schedule. "I have been informed that the Games are on. We have also contacted the families of the participants to assure them about their safety," he added.

The Indian ambassador in Turkey, Rahul Kulshreshth later informed the ministry that the Indian contingent would be flying out from Trabzon in three groups, two on 18th and one on 19th July. The Sports Authority of India and SGFI have set up a control room at SAI Delhi. The ministry tweeted: "For any information, B.B Saxena, deputy leader of Indian contingent in Trabzon may be contacted at 00905312131652."

Meanwhile, Stalin Babu Cheekatla, first secretary (Consular, Press, Information and Culture) at the Indian Embassy in Ankara told TOI over telephone that the situation was getting back to normal. The embassy in Ankara is in touch with the students and the officials. The students had earlier urged -in a WhatsApp video circulated to media houses -the government to repatriate them safely back home after the games.

We are all safe




India has so far won medals in wrestling, karate, athletics and tennis with the wrestlers doing the bulk of the medal shopping at the Games. "We have won a total of 20 medals in wrestling, including seven gold medals," head of delegation Chako Joseph said. India has also won 15 medals in karate (seven silver and eight bronze) and four medals in athletics, including one gold.

Davangere boy Arjun Durgappa was among the medal winners, winning silver in wrestling in the 50kg category .He said everyone was safe. "The place where we are residing and where the competition is being held is safe. Soon after coming to know about the unrest in Turkey, I called my coach and also my parents to tell that I was safe. We are all safe," Arjun told TOI.

Karnataka swimmer Damini K Gowda's parents had a sleepless night on Friday after news filtered in about the extent of the violence in Turkey. Damini and six other Karnataka swimmers are part of a 20-member Indian junior team that is competing at the Games. "I spoke to Damini in the morning and she assured us that there is no problem in Trabzon. The organizers are taking good care of them, Damini's father Krishnappa told TOI.

Corporation Commissioner Inspects Amma Unavagams as Part of Quality Assessment Drive

Coimbatore Corporation Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabakaran inspected Amma Unavagams across the city to upgrade infrastruc...

Sulur Minor Girl Sexual Assault and Murder Case: Judicial Custody Till June 5 for Accused Undergoing Treatment at GH

In the sexual assault and murder case of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur, Coimbatore, one of the accused Karthik has been...

Free 3D artificial limb camp for differently-abled in Coimbatore

Narayan Seva Sansthan will organise a free corrective surgery screening and 3D artificial limb measurement camp for diff...

Sulur Minor Girl Murder: Police Register POCSO Case Against Arrested Accused

POCSO charges have been invoked in the Sulur minor girl murder case after police investigations confirmed that the child...

DMK State Art and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary Meena Jayakumar Resigns from All Party Posts

Meena Jayakumar, DMK State Arts and Literature Wing Deputy Secretary, resigned from all party positions including basic...

Second suspect in Sulur minor girl murder case remanded

Mohanraj, the second accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore, has been remanded to judicial...